Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eight Moments in the Life of the Writer: #3 and 4

image source 

3. and 4.
As a girl of eight, I continued my lifelong quest to capture words.  Their crisp type looked like ants marching across the page.   Neat little rows.  I wrote a Christmas story that began with, "'Hark!'  The Herald Angles sang, as I watched them sing Christmas carols.  I don't remember the rest of the story, but I remember being impressed with my ingenuity.  I couldn't have been more proud than if I had actually penned the carol myself.   My second grade teacher patiently read through each masterpiece and declared, "Please be more descriptive."  The young writer was crushed and more than a little bit upset.  But, I learned two lessons about writing:  It's important to believe in yourself and it's also important to be willing to take criticism, to grow as a writer, an artists and mouse brown second grader with crooked teeth and a side ponytail.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com